Since graduating from the Rhode Island School of Design in 2000, Joel has worked as both a professional animator and independent artist. Through the Olive Jar Animation Studio and The Animation Cowboys, he’s been involved with several Cartoon Network projects as animator and voice-actor. His independent films have been featured in international festivals, workshops, galleries, and on the web. He has taught and assisted animation classes at Harvard University, Massachusetts College of Art & Design, WGBH, and is currently a full-time professor of animation at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. He is working on a new animated short film about pipes and clones.
MFA MA College of Art & Design Animation/Video 2012
BFA Rhode Island School of Design Film/Animation/Video 2000
School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
|2004 – Present|
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
|2002 – 2004|
|ANIMATION TEACHING ASST.
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
|2001 – 2004|
|VISITING ANIMATION ARTIST
Cambridgeport School, Cambridge, MA
|2001 – 2003|
PERFORMANCE/COMMERCIAL ART EXPERIENCE:
Frenzer Foreman Anim. Forum, Brooklyn, NY
|2010 – Present|
The Electric Company T.V. Show, New York, NY
NY Int. Children’s Film Fest., New York, NY
Oglio Records, Torrance, CA
Resisting Paradise Film, Boston, MA
Olive Jar Studios, Boston, MA
|2000 – 2001|
Big Nazo Puppets, Providence, RI
|1998 – 1999|
|JELLY FISHERS||Voice (Fly/Little Girl)||Dir. Steven Subotnick|
|SAINTS OF THE OLD CITY||Featured (Checkered Man)||Dir. Greg Mahoney|
|BLIND THE DEVIL||Featured (Mark)||Dir. Adam Swaab|
|NEGATIVE SPACE||Lead (Jacob)||Dir. Adam Swaab|
|UTICA CARTOON||Voice (Marty Turtle/Cop)||Cartoon Network
Dir. Fran Krause
|BIG NAZO SHOW||(Seamus McFeeces/Various
|Lisbon Portugal World Expo
Seattle Bumbershoot Festival
Las Vegas Fashion Week
Dir. Erminio Pinque
|ON A TRAIN||Lead (Marcel Duchamp)||Rhode Island School of Design
Dir. Chris Sergio
- Hasta la Feasta (2011) 4:30; HD video; color
- T.H.I.R.S.T. (2011) 3:30; HD video; color
- Aaron’s Lost Recap (2009) Web Series; 13 X 2:00
- The Beatbox Bastard on a Date (2008) 4:15; video; color
- Paper Bears (2007) 3:11; video; color
- Human Teleportation Into Death (2005) 30 sec; 16mm; color
- Architecture of a Migraine (2003) 1 min; video; b/w
- Subway Animation (2002) 2 min; computer; color
- Ben By Frenzer (2001) 5 x 30s shorts; computer; color
- Brisket (2000) 9 min; 35mm; color
- Brickman (1999) 5 min; 16mm; color
- Ottawa Int. Animation Fest. 2011– Ottawa, On, Canada. “T.H.I.R.S.T.” – official selection in category Animated Shorts for Kids.
- Rhode Island School of Design– Providence, RI. 2011. Artist talk and podcast. -
- Institute of Contemporary Art- Boston, 2011. Hosted the 3nd Annual New England Animators Screening & screened “T.H.I.R.S.T”, official selection.
- Art Institute of Boston– Boston, 2010. Artist talk.
- Montserrat College of Art– Beverly, MA. 2010. Artist talk.
- Frenzer Foreman Animation Forum (podcast)– Ottawa ON Canada, 2010
- Frenzer Foreman Animation Forum (podcast)– Hollywood, CA 2010
- Frenzer Foreman Animation Forum (podcast)– Ottawa ON Canada, 2009
- Somerville in Shorts Festival- Somerville, MA, 2009
- Institute of Contemporary Art- Boston, 2009. Hosted the 2nd Annual New England Animators Screening plus screened “Paper Bears” & “The Beatbox Bastard on a Date”. Purchased by ICA for permanent exhibit.
- Maine Int. Film Fest.- Waterville, MN. 2008. Official selection for “The Beatbox Bastard on a Date”
- Annecy Int. Animation Fest.- Annecy France, 2008. Official selection: “The Beatbox Bastard on a Date”
- Animator 2008 Fest.- Poznan Poland, 2008. Official selection for “The Beatbox Bastard on a Date”
- New England Animators- Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, MA. 2008. Screened
- films “The Beatbox Bastard on a Date”, & “Around Breakfast Paper Bears “ – group show.
- First Night Film Fest.- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA. 2007. Screened “Around Breakfast Paper Bears”.
- Flavor Cave Fest.- Providence, RI. 2007. Screened “Around Breakfast Paper Bears”.
- Outpost Gallery- Brockton, MA. 2006. Screened “Human Teleportation Into Death” and “Architecture of a Migraine”.
PANELS and JURIES:
- COLLEGE EMMY AWARDS JUDGE – Hollywood, CA. 2008 & 2009 Judge For Best Comedy – Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- SOMERVILLE ARTS COUNCIL GRANT PANEL – Somerville, MA. 2003 &2006. Reviewed film submissions and awarded grant money
GRANTS and AWARDS:
- FACULTY ENRICHMENT GRANT - 2006 & 2008 From School of the Museum of Fine Arts
- TRAVEL GRANT – 2006 & 2008 From School of the Museum of Fine Arts
- ACADEMY OF TELEVISION ARTS & SCIENCES FACUTLY FELLOW – 2007. Selected from film faculty nationwide to participate in a week long conference in Hollywood, CA, with membership into the Academy.
- LEF FILMMAKING GRANT – 2003 & 2006. Total award: $17,000.
- MACROMEDIA GRANT – 2003 for the film “Molly Bannaky”, made in collaboration with students from the Cambridgeport School.
- CERTIFICATE OF DISTINCTION IN TEACHING – 2002 & 2003 from Harvard University.
- BRUCE BOLDUC LEADERSHIP AWARD – 2000 from the Film, Animation, Video department at the Rhode Island School of Design.
- Musician – guitar, keyboard, drums
- Fine Artist – sculpture and drawing
- Sound Designer/Film Scorer
- Creative Writer/Comedy Song Writer
- Amateur Culinary Cook
- WordPress Designer